A lot of customers like concrete for several reasons: it is cheaper than any other materials, it is very versatile and can come in different styles and patterns, it can be used for different purposes, it is durable and long-lasting, and it is easy to maintain.
Concrete is porous and if you decide on installing it on your floor, it is important to seal it properly to maximize its strength and the things it can offer. If you are looking for a concrete contractor Boston, make sure that he provides high-quality service as well as knows how to do it properly. Or if you are planning on doing it on your own, you may want to follow this article, although hiring a professional contractor is more advised.
How to Seal a Concrete Floor?
A sealed floor can be more resistant to oil, water, grease, and other dirt and stains that may damage the concrete since it is porous. It would also become more attractive and neater if it is neat. All you need to do is to ensure that the application process is done properly.
- Clean the floor – cleaning the floor removing everything on its surfaces such as appliances, furniture, and other materials. It also involves cleaning the dirt, stains, and debris that can be found on the concrete. Once cleaned, you can now use the concrete cleaner for the application of the new sealer. Rinse the cleaner off and let the floor dry. Caulk and wait for it to get dry.
- Remove the old sealer – pour water on the concrete and let the floor dry in a complete cycle of 24 hours before the whole process begins.
- Open up the concrete by using etching solution – there are four types of sealers: epoxy sealers, acrylic sealers, silane/siloxane sealers, and polyurethane sealers. Identify the one that you need and get ready for applying.
- Apply the first thin layer of sealer through a sprayer – read the instructions provided about the appropriate humidity and temperature and other recommendations. Divide the room for smaller parts for easy application and start with the least accessible sections to the most accessible ones.
- Apply the second layer in the opposite direction – use a small paintbrush for sealing the edges of the floor. Ensure a nice stroke every time. When it comes to the other parts of the floor, you can use a rolling brush or paint pad. Apply first the first thin coating in perfect strokes as possible. Make sure to spread evenly the coating. Let it dry. After the first coating has dried, apply the second coating for better coverage and smoother appearance.
- Leave it to sit and dry – you need to be ready to wait for a couple of days for it do dry completely. Or at least, follow the instructions provided on the label before you can walk and use your floor once again.
Sealing is very important in order for you to maximize the benefits that a concrete floor provides. Also, it is a very effective method of providing protection and more aesthetics to your concrete floor.